- Police found Dyson, 68, died at home.
- It appears that died of natural causes.
- The engineer and professor of British robotics created eight units of R2-D2, four of them with remote control system and two that could be piloted.
the British engineer and professor of robotics Tony Dyson, best known as the creator of the famous android Star Wars R2-D2, died early this morning at his home in Gozo (Malta) to 68 years.
His body was found by police after a alarmed neighbor agents after seeing that the door was open housing Dyson. Although the first hypothesis point to natural death, he is practicing an autopsy to discover the exact cause of his death, according to the BBC account.
the illustrator Ralph McQuarrie and special effects expert John Stears designed the look of R2-D2 and then Dyson was responsible for materialize and give personality the robot through its colors, the way they move and their characteristic beeps.
The engineer created eight units of R2-D2 , four of them had a movement system for remote control and two others could be piloted by an actor from within, a task that fell to the famous Kenny Baker .
R2-D2 is one of the few characters who has appeared in all the films of Star Wars so far .
throughout his career, Dyson built a 36 space creatures, laser and costumes weapons, not only for Star Wars and the empire Strikes Back but also for many other movies like Superman 2 or tape James Bond Moonraker .
After learning of the death of Tony Dyson, the affection of his fans have been expected . . Twitter is filled with many messages of grief and affection
– Keiron Knights (@ key72uk) March 4, 2016
March 4, 2016
- ← Heygo a Wallapop for crimps and simple jobs
- The hard business of developing Android: the case of iA Writer →