- 6 Best Maths Apps For Kids
You want to help your kids get ahead with their studies in any way you can. That's especially t...
Are you one of those individuals who are looking to get a wireless network at home without an internet router? If yes, then you have come to the right place because, in this article, we are going to enlighten you about a technique through which you can easily light up your house with strong wireless signals for convenient connectivity.
The method through which you can share the internet with several portable devices is called a mobile hotspot. However, it is not the usual hotspot you use on your smartphone to tether internet access on other gadgets. Smartphone hotspots are quite expensive as they consume a lot of bandwidth and data. Plus, the carrier signals should be exceptionally good otherwise you will not be able to turn on the feature.
The mobile hotspot that we are talking about uses a computer as a router to spread Wi-Fi signals. Whether you have a DSL connection or a cable network acquired from Frontier Internet, with the help of a computer, you can easily share your internet and actively connect all your devices to the World Wide Web.
How to use the mobile hotspot feature in Windows 10?
- Click on the Windows button and go to Settings.
- Then, go to Network & Internet.
- From the menu on the left, click on the button that says Mobile Hotspot.
If you have multiple connections like a Wi-Fi network and an Ethernet cable, you can choose the connection that you want to share by clicking on the option that says Share my Internet Connection from.
- Select the connection that you wish to share.
You can also change the password and network name by clicking on the Edit button. The password needs to be at least 8 characters long. Alternatively, you can keep the computer suggested password, which is already set by the system as shown in the picture below.
- Finally, move the slider situated at the top from left to right so that it turns on. Your computer is now acting as an internet router. You can also see the number of devices connected to your computer’s network.
How to use the mobile hotspot feature in MacOS?
With MacOS, you are limited to only one type of internet sharing, which is a wired internet connection. Unlike Windows 10, MacOS does not allow you to share the internet if you are connected to the internet over a wireless network. Therefore, to share the internet, you will have to connect an Ethernet wired network to your computer. With that said, let us discuss how to make your Macbook an internet router.
- Click on the Apple menu and go to System Preferences.
- Find the Sharing option located in the second last row of the menu.
- From the drop-down menu on the left, select Internet Sharing.
- Then, select Ethernet from the Share your connection from the menu.
- Choose the Wi-Fi adapter from the box that says To Computers Using.
- To configure the mobile hotspot, click on the Wi-Fi Options button. You can also change the name and channel of your network.
We highly recommend using the WPA2 security protocol because it secures your connection and keeps your data safe from prying eyes.
- Finally, check the box next to Internet Sharing, which is located on the left side. A green dot will appear next to Internet Sharing indicating that you have successfully turned on your mobile hotspot.
That is all. Your computer is now acting as an internet router allowing your devices to connect to the web wirelessly. Stay tuned to learn more about such exciting techniques in the near future.
September 27, 2020
- ← 4 Tips for Teaching Kids About Electronics
- Spider-Man Remastered muestra sus primeras imágenes, cinemática y gameplay a 60 fps en PS5 →